- Lifelines are the systems and facilities that provide services vital to the function of an industrialized society and important to the emergency response and recovery after a natural disaster. These systems and facilities include communication, electric power, liquid fuel, natural gas, transportation (airports, highways, ports, rail and transit), water, and wastewater.
- American Society of Civil Engineering Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering (TCLEE), 2009
Naomi Kelly, City Administrator, General Services Agency
Chris Poland, Chair, NEHRP ACEHR and Co-Chair, SPUR Resilient Cities Initiative
Membership will consist of Executive Officers and Senior-level operational deputies of local and regional lifelines providers. For a list of current attendees, please see the Member Organizations page.
Scope and Purpose
The City and County of San Francisco will convene a Lifelines Council under the ResilientSF Initiative with a purpose and scope focused on post-disaster reconstruction and recovery. The Lifelines Council seeks to:
• Develop and improve collaboration in the City and across the region.
• Understand inter-system dependencies to enhance planning, restoration and reconstruction.
• Share information about recovery plans, projects and priorities.
• Establish coordination processes for lifeline restoration and recovery following a major disaster event.
City and County of San Francisco
General Services Agency
Department of Real Estate
Department of Emergency Management
Department of Public Works
Department of Technology
Capital Planning Program
San Francisco Fire Department
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
Pacific Gas & Electric
San Francisco International Airport
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority
Golden Gate Bridge Transportation District
Port of San Francisco
San Francisco Bay Area Water Transit Authority
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
Metropolitan Transportation Commission
Union Pacific Railroad
Other Essential Services:
BARfirst Financial Institution Coalition
Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG)
Partners and Advisors:
California Public Utilities Commission
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Chris Barkley, URS, SPUR Resilient Cities
Sarah Karlinsky, SPUR Resilient Cities
Dutch Leonard, Harvard Kennedy School
Arrietta Chakos, Harvard Kennedy School
Laurie Johnson, Ph.D. Recovery Advisor